Review and Re-crediting
Student review and re-crediting procedure
|The purpose of this procedure is to outline how Holmesglen will deal with applications by students to review and re-credit their Student Learning Entitlement (SLE) for the unit of study and remove the HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP debt and refund any up front payment if they have withdrawn their enrolment after the Census Date or have been unable to complete a unit of study due to special circumstances.
You may apply after the Census Date to have your SLE for the unit of study re-credited, your HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP debt removed and any up front payment refunded only if you:
- withdrew your enrolment in a unit of study after the Census Date due to special circumstances, or
- did not complete the requirements for a unit of study due to special circumstances.
Special circumstances are circumstances that:
- were beyond your control;
- did not make their full impact until on or after the Census Date of the unit of study; and
- made it impracticable for you to complete your unit of study requirements.
You must apply in writing to the Registrar of Holmesglen, within 12 months of the withdrawal date, or if you have not withdrawn, within 12 months of the end of the period of study in which the unit of study was, or was to be, undertaken. Applications submitted after this time will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Your application for re-crediting your SLE and your HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP debt and any up front payment refunded must include details of the:
- unit/s of study for which you are seeking to have your SLE and your HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP re-credited
- special circumstances that you believe made it impracticable for you to complete those unit/s of study.
Holmesglen will consider your application within 10 working days of its receipt. It will consider your request to re-credit your SLE for the unit of study, HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP debt and the refund of any up front payment in accordance with the requirements of the Higher Education Support Act 2003. Holmesglen will inform you in writing of the Registrar's decision.
If you are not satisfied with the decision made by Holmesglen, you may apply within 28 days of the receipt of the original decision for a review of the decision. Applications should be made in writing to the Executive Director, Teaching and Learning of Holmesglen and must state fully the reasons for applying for the review.
Holmesglen will acknowledge receipt of the application for review of a decision in writing within 5 working days. It will also inform you:
- that if the Review Officer has not advised you of a decision within 45 days of receipt of the application, it can be taken that the Review Officer has confirmed the original decision
- of your right to apply to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) for review of the decision of the Holmesglen Review Officer
- of the AAT's contact details and the approximate cost of making an application.
Holmesglen will inform you in writing of the Review Officer's decision and the reasons for making the decision. It will also inform you of your right to appeal to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) if you are unsatisfied with the outcome, the contact details of the nearest AAT and the approximate cost of an appeal to the AAT.
If you apply to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal for review of a decision, you may have to pay an application fee. Full details of the application process and fees payable are available on the AAT Registry's website: www.aat.gov.au. The nearest AAT Registry is Level 16, HWT Tower, Southgate, 40 City Road, Southbank VIC 3006 Telephone (03) 9282 8444 Fax (03) 9282 8480.