What is NEIS?
The New Enterprise Incentive Scheme (NEIS) assists eligible job seekers who have an idea for a viable small business to establish their self-employment venture. NEIS provides access to free training in small business management, up to 39 weeks (9 months) of NEIS income support and 26 weeks (6 months) of rental assistance if eligible, as well as business advice and five business mentor sessions with an experienced business expert.
The NEIS program has been running for over 30 years and remains the employment program with the highest positive outcome rate.
Holmesglen has been actively involved in providing NEIS training and support for over 20 years and offers training in Victoria, South Australia, and the ACT.
What training will I receive?
As part of your training, you will undertake the nationally accredited Certificate IV in New Small Business (BSB42615). This training will be delivered Monday to Friday from 10 am - 3 pm, over an eight-week period. You will attend classes approximately 3 – 4 days per week and will be taught subjects in:
|Business planning||Market research||Financial planning|
|Legal and taxation requirements||Marketing||Business protection and insurance|
|Advertising and promotion||Bookkeeping||Social media|
As part of your training, you will develop a comprehensive business plan, which needs to be approved before you can start your business and receive NEIS assistance. The business plan will also assist you if you need to approach banks or credit unions for finance. You will receive support and assistance throughout the training program to develop your business plan.
Am I eligible to apply for NEIS?
In order to apply for NEIS, you must meet both the Personal Eligibility and Business Eligibility requirements.
Personal Eligibility requirements:
- Receiving an eligible Centrelink Allowance (For example, Newstart, Youth Allowance, Parenting Payment Single/Partnered, Disability Support Pension, Carers Payment)
- Working 15 hours or less per week
- Available to work full time in the business (35 hours per week)
- Not be prohibited from working in Australia
- Not be an undischarged bankrupt
- Not received NEIS assistance in the past 12 months
Business Eligibility requirements:
- Not currently operating on a commercial basis
- Be independent, reputable and legal
- Demonstrates potential commercial viability
- Be established, located and operated solely in Australia
- Controlling interest in the business will be maintained by the NEIS participant(s)
If you meet eligibility requirements, apply here.
For more information on our NEIS program, contact us:
D: 1300 NEIS4U (1300 634 748)
T: 03 9209 5119