What is NEIS?
The New Enterprise Incentive Scheme (NEIS) assists eligible job seekers who have an idea for a viable new small business to establish their self-employment venture. It provides access to training in small business management, a nine month NEIS financial allowance, 26 weeks rental assistance if eligible, business advice and five mentor supporting sessions from an experienced business person.
The program has been running for 30 years and is still the employment program with the highest positive outcome rate.
Holmesglen has been providing NEIS training for 20 years and offers training in Victoria, South Australia and the ACT.
What training will I receive?
As part of your training you will undertake the nationally accredited BSB42615 Certificate IV in Small Business Management. This training will be delivered Monday- Friday from 10am-3pm over a ten week period. You will be taught subjects in:
|Business Planning||Market Research||Financial Planning|
|Sales & Marketing||Taxation & Bookkeeping||Legal Issues & Insurance|
You will also receive help to develop your business plan as part of your training. The business plan needs to be approved before you can start your business with NEIS assistance. The business plan will also assist you if you need to approach banks or credit unions for finance.
Am I eligible to apply for NEIS?
In order to apply for NEIS you must meet both Personal Eligibility and Business Eligibility requirements.
In order to meet Personal Eligibility requirements you must be:
- Registered with Centrelink and looking for full time employment or on a Centrelink Allowance (Examples of Centrelink Allowance or Pension are: Newstart, Youth Allowance, Parenting Payment Single/Partnered, Disability Support Pension, Carers Payment)
- Over 18 years at time of signing NEIS agreement
- Available for full time training
- Available to work full time in the business
- Have a controlling interest in the business
- Not be an undischarged bankrupt
- Not have received a NEIS allowance in the previous three years
- Not have received NEIS assistance for a similar business
In order to meet Business Eligibility requirements your proposed business must:
- Be a new business (ie has never operated commercially before)
- Not be based on the purchase or takeover of an existing business (and not be a franchise)
- Be independent, reputable and legal
- Be potentially commercially viable
- Be established and located in Australia
If you meet eligibility requirements, apply here.