Certificate III in Laboratory Skills - VETiS
|Program length||Part time: 2 years|
|Study mode||Part time|
- Apply now
- See also
This course is a VET in Schools program and can only be completed as part of your VCE or VCAL program.
During this course, you can complement and expand your scientific studies by gaining the practical skills and knowledge to assist in collecting and preparing samples and to carry out, measure and record results of experiments in the physical, chemical, biological or life sciences. You will learn skills in maintaining a laboratory, routine sampling and testing, recording data, and using laboratory computing programs. You will also learn how to prepare cultures, perform sterile techniques and assist with field work.
This course will be undertaken in the new state-of-the-art laboratories at Holmesglen Moorabbin where you will have access to equipment that can usually only be found in a technical setting.
Download the VETiS Certificate III in Laboratory Skills flyer.
AssessmentAssessment may be a combination of written and online assignments, tests, examinations and practical application projects.
- MSL913001A Communicate with other people
- MSL922001A Record and present data
- MSL943002A Participate in laboratory/ field workplace safety
- MSL913002A Plan and conduct laboratory/ field work
- MSL933001A Maintain the laboratory fit for purpose
- MSL933002A Contribute to the achievement of quality objectives
- MSL973004A Perform aseptic techniques
- MSL973002A Prepare working solutions
- MSAENV272A Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices
- MSL973001A Perform basic test
- MSL973007A Perform microscopic examinations
- MSL953001A Receive and prepare samples for testing
- MSL973003A Prepare culture media
Qualification & Recognition
This course is a VET in Schools program and is part of your VCE or VCAL program. First year provides two units towards VCE at Units 1 & 2 level or 2 VCAL units. Second year offers a study score for the ATAR if students opt to sit for the examination, two units towards VCE at Units 3 & 4 level or two VCAL units.
This program leads to the award of a qualification that articulates directly to further qualifications including the Certificate IV in Laboratory Techniques, Diploma of Laboratory Technology and Advanced Diploma of Laboratory Operations.
This course is suitable if you have an interest in biological testing, biotechnology, chemical testing, environmental monitoring, food testing and pathology testing.
This program is delivered on Wednesdays, 12.30pm - 5.00pm.
How to Apply
Contact your secondary school.
If you have further questions about your application please contact the department:
VETiS Coordination Centre
03 9209 5109
Contact your school to discuss fees for VETiS courses.