IELTS (International English Language Testing System
Preparation for IELTS
Holmesglen offers preparation for IELTS courses in the Academic and General Training modules. It recommends an Academic IELTS score for entry into mainstream courses. A General Training score is often required for immigration purposes. For more information on immigration go to the Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs website at www.immi.gov.au . Both modules test students' levels in the 4 areas of listening, reading, writing and speaking.
Courses are offered in 10 week blocks, corresponding to the term dates. Classes run for 3 hours providing a total of 30 hours preparation over a term. Currently classes are held on Wednesday afternoons and Friday mornings and Saturday mornings.
Who can apply?
- ELICOS students: For these students there is no fee as the cost of IELTS classes has been covered by their overall course fees.
- Migrant students attending English classes at Holmesglen. The fee of $280 applies (subject to change).
- External students: People who are not HOLMESGLEN students, but wish to prepare for IELTS a $280 fee applies for the 10 week course (subject to change).
Since IELTS tasks are quite challenging, students are recommended to have an English language level equal to level 3 classes (ISLPR 1+). If you are unsure of your current language level eg - external students, you will be assessed before enrolling. The course is also beneficial for those who are not intending to take the exam but simply want more high level English study.
How will the course help you?
- It will give you an overview of the exam
- It will teach you exam techniques
- It will familiarise you with different question types
- You can improve your listening skills (for general and specific information)
- You will practise reading strategies (skimming & scanning for main ideas and details, summarising, recognising opinion & attitudes)
Link to IELTS website
Holmesglen Language Centre
T. +61 3 9564 1978
T. +61 3 9209 7542
T. +61 3 9564 6384