Applying for Credit including RPL

Download the Form to apply for RPL Credit Transfer and Exemption (STU129)

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about applying for credit

What is credit?
Credit is the term covering Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and Credit Transfer (CT) in TAFE courses and Exemption in degree courses. 

What is the difference between RPL, CT and Exemption?

  • You apply for Recognition of Prior Learning if you think that your work and life experiences match some of the subjects you have enrolled in. You must be able to prove that you have the skills and knowledge required in these subjects.

  • You apply for Credit Transfer if you have done the subject previously or if you have completed a combination of subjects that cover the content of the subject/s you are enrolling in.

  • An Exemption may be appropriate if you are enrolling in a Higher Education qualification and you have done study or have work/life experience that meets the learning outcomes of the subject/s. 

How do I know if I should apply for credit?
You need to have a good idea about what your program contains, that is, the details of the subjects that make up the qualification. Read any information you are given about applying for credit carefully and have a think about what evidence you have so you can prove that you have the skills and knowledge covered in the units/subjects.

What are the benefits of applying for credit?

  • If you are successful in your credit application, you can save yourself time because you do not have to complete all units/subjects in the qualification.

  • Credit can save you money that you may have needed to spend on books and materials for your course.

  • By completing a qualification faster, you can move more quickly to a higher-level qualification.

What happens at the interview/conversation?
You will be asked to bring any evidence you have to the meeting to prove that you have done what you say. Be prepared to talk about your experiences that are relevant to the units/subjects for which you have applied for credit. The Assessor will be looking at your evidence and listening to your work and life experiences and details of previous studies to work out if you have enough evidence to be granted credit for units/subjects in your course.

How much do CT, RPL and Exemption cost?

  • CT and Exemption do not cost you.

  • RPL costs the same as the course enrolment but it saves you money on course resources and materials. RPL also saves you time, because if your RPL application is granted, you do not have to attend the rest of the classes for those subject/s.

Note: there are no refunds given on fees for RPL units if your application is granted.  

How does credit appear on my transcript?
Your Academic Transcript and Statement of Results record the results of any successful credit applications with a special code.

  • If your RPL is successful, your result is PX.

  • If your CT application is successful, your result is CT.

  • If your Exemption application is successful, your result is EX.

  • If your credit application is not successful, your result will appear as N, unless you have continued to attend classes and do the usual assessments.

Note: CT and EX are equivalent to a Pass. Credit applications are not graded.  In Higher Education courses, Exemptions are not included in your Grade Point Average (GPA).

What kind of work and life experiences count towards RPL or Exemption?
You may have work experience you have gained in your job and you may belong to a sporting or community group and have done work for them. If you do any volunteer work in the community, this can count towards your application. Previous study may also contribute to your application. The credit application process is an assessment of the skills and knowledge you have gained by matching these to part or the whole qualification so that you may not have to do all the training. It is important that any work and life experience you have is relevant to the subjects for which you are applying for credit.

What sort of things can I use as evidence?
Evidence can be provided in many different ways. Some examples of things you can use are:

  • Position description

  • Workplace reference

  • Examples of work you have produced

  • Training and/or qualification certificates

  • Minutes of meetings you have organised, run or attended

  • Awards, certificates of merit

  • Job diary or journal

How much credit can I apply for?
In Certificate and Diploma courses, it is possible to apply for credit for units that make up a maximum of 75% of the entire qualification. You must undertake study and assessment in the remaining units that make up the other 25% of the qualification as a Holmesglen student. Note that when seeking credit for study completed at another education provider, you will need to provide the necessary evidence to prove you have the skills and knowledge for the relevant unit/s or subject/s (no more than 75% of the qualification). It is possible to use the same piece of evidence for several subjects if it is relevant to the requirements. In higher education courses, the maximum amount of credit varies for each course and will be approved on a case by case basis.Check with your Course Coordinator for more information.

Why are there timelines for credit applications?
It will take you some time to collect your evidence, and then it will take the Assessor time to go through your evidence and assess it against the assessment criteria for the unit/s or subject/s.  We allow you 2 weeks to collect your evidence and we allow the Assessor 2 weeks to assess your evidence after you have submitted it. Your result/s then need to be recorded in the Student Management System. This process needs to be completed within the first 4 weeks of class.  If the timelines are missed by you or the Assessor, your application will not be processed until the following semester.

Why do I have to attend classes if I have submitted an RPL application?
You need to attend classes until you are notified of the decision on your application. This takes at least 4 weeks from the start of classes, and sometimes longer depending on the number of subjects for which you are applying for RPL. If your application is not successful, you can continue attending classes and do the usual assessments at no extra cost. If you have not attended classes while your application is being assessed and you are unsuccessful, you will need to enrol in the subject/s in the next semester and pay fees again.

What can I do if I am not happy about my credit decision?
You can appeal a decision by making an appointment to see the Head of your teaching department to discuss the decision. The Head of the Department may refer your appeal to the Dean of the Faculty. The Dean's decision is final.