Student Accommodation Options
Institute Accommodation is available across the Chadstone, Waverley and Moorabbin campuses for both male and female students. Holmesglen owns a number of houses within the community. Living in Institute accommodation is a great way to meet and learn about people from other countries whilst sharing the house.
What is Included:
- Fully furnished houses with 2 to 6 bedrooms
- Every student has their own bedroom which can be locked
- Gas, electricity, water and local telephone calls
- Kitchen equipped with an oven, a microwave, a rice-cooker, cooking utensils and crockery
- Central heating and cooling
- Wireless Internet facilities
- Washing machine, dryer, television and DVD player
- Outdoor sensor security lighting
- Maintenance of surrounding gardens
- Monthly cleaning of common areas e.g. bathroom, kitchen, lounge and dining areas
- Free airport reception and transport to the accommodation
- Paying rent in advance and keeping track of upcoming rental payments
- Providing own bed linen
- Purchasing food and cooking meals
- Purchasing cleaning products and personal toiletries, e.g. detergent, sponges etc.
- Cleaning bedrooms and general tidiness of the house
- Taking out the garbage for collection
- Laundry (washing clothes)
- Notifying the International Centre of any required maintenance
- Students are required to give a minimum of two weeks written notice to vacate
- Return house keys on the date of departure
Weekly Rent ..................................$180
How to Book:
- Forward ten weeks' rent ($1,800) to Holmesglen with tuition fees
- Forward arrival details including flight arrival time, flight number and date.
- Upon receipt of the above, confirmation of a vacancy and address details will be forwarded.
Note: Please be advised that Holmesglen is unable to confirm a place in institute accommodation until arrival details are forwarded. Students who provide arrival details first will be given priority.
Bed linen packages are available. Students have an option to purchase a bed linen package from Holmesglen, which is delivered to the accommodation in time for your arrival. Payment is required with the accommodation payment.
The $180 package includes:
- Set of single sheets
- Warm doona/bed quilt and cover
- Face Towel
Extension of Stay:
Students who wish to extend their stay after the initial period of 10 weeks must notify the International Centre of their intention to extend. Rental must be paid four weeks in advance ($720).
Students must be over 18 years of age, to live in Institute accommodation.
What is homestay?
Homestay is an opportunity for international students to live with a local individual or family (called a Host) and experience Australian life in a secure and comfortable home. The student joins the family as a guest in the host's home. To make the most of the experience there is a minimum stay of four weeks.
Holmesglen is proud to be working with the Australian Homestay Network (AHN) who is Australia's leading homestay organisation.
Why choose homestay?
The homestay experience is a great way for students to improve their English and adjust to life in Melbourne. It provides students with the opportunity to learn about the culture and customs of Australia in a safe and friendly environment. Homestay can also provide international students with the opportunity to experience other cultures due the Melbourne's wonderful cultural diversity.
Students are encouraged to socialise with their host family who will provide vital information and advice about living in Melbourne. Holmestay provides students with a furnished room to privately study and relax.
No bonds are required and students due not sign a lease.
How does it work?
Upon application, students are required to make a placement fee. This allows AHN to match both the student and the host as closely as reasonability possible to each other's preferences.
Weekly fees are paid directly to AHN in monthly instalments and may vary depending on the student's desired level of service.
The weekly fee covers services within the home such as furnished accommodation, meals and utilities. Additional support services also include 24 hour emergency support and ongoing monitoring of host suitability.
For further information, please see a copy of AHN's homestay packages and fees.
How to apply
Applications are made directly to AHN education agents and students. Holmesglen students will receive complimentary airport reception when booking homestay through AHN.
To book, please visit http://www.homestaynetwork.org/students/apply.